Water is life, but it can also definitely take one’s life in an instant. People who cross water to reach certain places are advised to assess the professionalism of the boat driver as well as the quality of the motor boat they commonly ride so that they can ascertain their lives are always secured and fully protected.
Boating can be functional in the society only when it safely takes people from one place to their desired destination but once it already becomes a reason for the departure of innocent lives here in this world, this is definitely a different story.
No matter how experienced a person is, it is always a good idea to review boating safety rules before departures. This is the best way to save everyone’s life on the boat. For the basic boating tips that will help people riding a boat stay safe, read below.
1. Always check the weather condition. Before departure, checking local weather conditions is a must. Radio and TV forecasts can be some of the good sources of data. Even smart phones today can provide accurate weather conditions on particular places. Once you see darkening clouds, sudden drops in temperature, unstable and rough winds, it’s best to not continue the boating adventure.
2. Check the pre-departure checklist. Boating safety includes being prepared with boating supplies which should be present before the boat leaves. Make certain no boating equipment is forgotten or overlooked.
3. Make use of common sense. Common sense is one of the most essential parts of boating safety. Operating the boat should be at the safest speed all the time, most especially if there is too much water traffic. Staying alert of large watercrafts and vessels around can help you stop and turn easily without panic. Also, navigational aids should be overlooked. Make sure they are accordingly placed to ascertain everyone’s safety.
4. Teach everyone about the proper use of lifejackets. Not everyone is a swimmer, so lifejacket is a way to save you once a problem occurs. However, in most instances, lifejackets are ignored. Did you know that many drowning victims are due to boaters not wearing lifejackets? Thus, ascertain everyone in the boat fit a lifejacket before departure.
5. Boat drivers should create a float plan. Together with most trusted assistant, create a float plan. Such float plan can include the:
a. Name and contact details of all passengers
b. Name, phone number and address of trip leader
c. Trip itinerary
d. Boat type and registration data
e. Types of signal and communication equipment present onboard such PLB (Personal Locator Beacon) or EPIRB (Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon)
6. Boat drivers should take boating course. Boater education is vital to be familiar with the many boating safety rules when boating. Some states even require boaters to complete at least one boating safety course. Irrespective of the state’s requirements, it is always imperative to be prepared and educated for each unexpected circumstance that may arise.
Boating Supplies That Should Always Be Present Onboard
Boating supplies should be completed and checked before departure. Whether the boating is for fun or for work, it is vital you have the required boating supplies inside the boat. Some of these supplies are required by the law. The absence of such particular supplies could mean illegality of the boating activity.
If you are wondering what supplies or equipments the boat should have, learn the following. Always check their availability prior to departing.
Boat trailer parts
Boat trim tabs
Marine VHF radio
First aid kit
Extra boat steering wheel
Extra fuel tanks
Boat fuel tanks are essential for each boat as it keeps the fuel which the boat uses. Modern boats utilize 2 types of fuels, thereby, it is important to know what type of fuel do your boat uses.
Where to Find Boat Supplies?
It is easy to find boat supplies. They are very much available in either boat auctions or nearest boat stores in your area. You can come and visit these stores to see the boat supplies you need. Before paying anything, make sure to check and give enough attention to every piece. Know the technical specifications and quality of these supplies. You should do the same thing when buying boat parts. Before you actually pay for them, know them well. Learn their manufacturers to see if they ring a bell when it comes to quality and dependability.
Moreover, if you want to be so sure with the quality of supplies and boat parts you need to buy, visit the web. Read reviews about brands and companies offering boat supplies and parts. Reviews can give you the informed decision to whether or not buy a specific brand or not.